Friday, November 10, 2006,3:04 p.m.
Community Part 2
Thanks to everyone who posted a out whether or not you're "in community" with me. I'm not sure I need to post my own thoughts about community, as so many of you did such a great job on it!

The notable exception, which will prove how silly my family can be, is "G" in Coquitlam, who determined that he was not part of my community.

"G" is ..... my brother. I'm not sure if that means he's decided to abdicate the family or what. Hopefully not. Every family needs a little dry wit in it. Thanks, Greg.

If you are part of the Body of Christ - a believer in the resurrection of Jesus - then we are in community. It is really as simple as that. "There is one body and one Spirit - just as you were called to one hope when you were called - one Lord, one faith, one baptism; one God and Father of all, who is over all and through all and in all. (Ephesians 4:4-6)"

We are ONE. We have different places where we walk out the gifts and service that God has given us, but we are ONE. So, Roro, in London - we are in community, we are one. Kathleen, in Australia - we are in community, we are one. Greg, you nob! We are in community, we are one. :) What the level or manifestation of that community looks like between each of us will probably vary, but it is there, nontheless.

In the Body I have gifts and personality that are unique to anyone else. They should be used to their fullest capacity to bring the greatest glory to God and the most fight to our war. I, like you and every Believer, am a very specific arsensal in the hands of God, and as such I should nolimitit myself to my own congregation or geographical community. Of course I cannot do everything I would wish - that's where wisdom from the Spirit and relying on the leading of God come in. And I would hope and pray that a spiritual arrogance would never enter into my desire to serve others through my gifts. I am simply part of the Body. The ONE Body.

Let the unity of Christ's Bride be manifested.
Let's God's victory and glory arise.


The body is a unit, though it is made up of many parts; and though all its parts are many, they form one body. So it is with Christ. For we were all baptized by one Spirit into one body—whether Jews or Greeks, slave or free—and we were all given the one Spirit to drink. (1 Corinthians 12:12-13)

As it is, there are many parts, but one body. The eye cannot say to the hand, "I don't need you!" And the head cannot say to the feet, "I don't need you!" (! Corinthians 12:20-21)

This mystery is that through the gospel the Gentiles are heirs together with Israel, members together of one body, and sharers together in the promise in Christ Jesus. (Ephesians 3:6)

Just as each of us has one body with many members, and these members do not all have the same function, so in Christ we who are many form one body, and each member belongs to all the others. We have different gifts, according to the grace given us. If a man's gift is prophesying, let him use it in proportion to his faith. If it is serving, let him serve; if it is teaching, let him teach; if it is encouraging, let him encourage; if it is contributing to the needs of others, let him give generously; if it is leadership, let him govern diligently; if it is showing mercy, let him do it cheerfully. (Romans 12:4-8)
 
posted by Karyn Baker
Permalink ¤