Wednesday, November 15, 2006,6:03 p.m.
The Crazy Cat
So, I haven't posted a story about my crazy cat for a long time. I am often conscious of the opportunity to blog about things that are missional - pertinent to spreading the gospel and encouraging the saints - but there are times that pictures of my niece, Eliana, and stories about the cat are just, well, necessary. I'm proud of Eliana, and about the cat, well, it's good to laugh.

The cat is named Tabitha for anyone who has not met her. It's a Biblical name, too, though it can also be translated "Dorcas" (say it out loud), which seems, somehow, appropriate.

Tabby has always been a window sill sitter. She loves to sit and look outside, especially since about 10 years ago she became an indoor cat. I think at that point it became a favourite pastime for her to sit and look with nostalgia out the window at the life she used to know.

Her window sill sitting and watching has had many exciting experiences (read into that 'mishaps') over the years. When younger and more limber, she would easily jump to the window sill from the floor, no matter the height (occasionally taking out part of the wall with her hind feet in the process - read into that my experience in drywalling). When staring out the window she would sometimes see other cats in her territory, and would growl menacingly at them, not usually scaring them away, but making herself feel better at least. (I remember her once doing this, I think forgetting she was on a window sill and not a ...... small ..... cat. All I heard was "growl.....boom.....splat." She lunged into the corner of the window and then immediately fell OFF the window. The hilarious part about this is she did it twice before I went and scared off the outside cat.)

Needless to say, window-sill-sitting has been a big part of Tabby's life and entertainment for many years. As she is now an old cat (almost 18 years), this apartment has been great, with sliding glass doors and both window sills less than a foot off the floor.

Still, I think that she has become slightly senile in the last few weeks. My beautiful window-sill-loving cat has taken to sitting on the floor staring up at the window, even though it is so low to the ground.

But the part that I find really, REALLY sad is not her lack of ability or energy to get to the window sill.

It is the fact that when she does this the drapes are always closed.
 
posted by Karyn Baker
Permalink ¤