Saturday, August 20, 2005,10:36 a.m.
Finishing a lap is not finishing the race....
I had the privilege of attending the War College (www.thewarcollege.com) graduation ceremonies and celebration yesterday. I was interested and pleased to hear Jonathan Evans (www.suburbanoutpost.blogspot.com) give a preach on sin and lamenting, instead of the usual "you've made it, your future is ahead of you" kind of talks that one often hears at graduations. It made me think this morning that every season of our lives is simply a lap on the race that is set before us (i.e. our lives), and that often when we feel we have mastered any particular discipline or concept that might be just the right time to go back and revisit it to make sure. If we ever feel we have mastered sin, we might want to watch out for the temptation that is right around the corner. If we feel we have mastered humility, we might want to watch out for the pride that is probably already within us. If we feel we have mastered worship, let's look again at the Master's face and realize that our most fragrant offering could actually never be too much for His glory and worthiness.

To be clear, I'm not trying to instill a guilt theology, where we always walk with our heads bowed and our eyes downcast because of our intense lowliness. It is still true that we are sons and daughters of the Most High King and we have been redeemed and forgiven by the blood of Jesus that was spilled on our behalf. But we are still vulnerable to attack, especially when we are not facing and watching for the enemy. Let's keep our defenses high and our armor strong, so that each lap of the race we run is run forward and run well. By the grace of God.

Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize. Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last; but we do it to get a crown that will last forever. Therefore I do not run like a man running aimlessly; I do not fight like a man beating the air. No, I beat my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize. (1 Corinthians 9:24-27)

You were running a good race. Who cut in on you and kept you from obeying the truth? That kind of persuasion does not come from the one who calls you. "A little yeast works through the whole batch of dough." I am confident in the Lord that you will take no other view. The one who is throwing you into confusion will pay the penalty, whoever he may be. (Galatians 5:7-10)

For I am already being poured out like a drink offering, and the time has come for my departure. I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day—and not only to me, but also to all who have longed for his appearing. (2 Timothy 4:6-8)
 
posted by Karyn Baker
Permalink ¤