Friday, August 19, 2005,11:14 a.m.
Life is a Test
I've been reading through "The Purpose Driven Life" lately - I figure it's a good idea to have read the book before we teach on it at the church in the fall.... Anyway, I was reading in one of the earlier chapters that this life is a test. That's an interesting idea - that everything we are given to handle or to administrate on this earth is a test. One thing that seriously caught my attention was the idea that delayed promises are a test. And I thought, "I sometimes struggle to believe in the promises of God that haven't yet shown up - especially when they have taken years to materialize." But God then reminded me that it's not necessarily what my head is saying at any given moment - how He knows what I really believe is what my actions are doing.

Like, God promised Abraham he would father a nation. He said he believed in it, but then took his wife's handmaiden in order to have a son, apparently figuring he'd help God along in His promise. His actions didn't back up what he said he believed - that God will fulfill all His promises. Fortunately, Abraham seemed to learn from this and later, when God tested him by asking him to sacrifice his son, Isaac, he trusted in God and forged ahead.

Perhaps our heads and thoughts weaken from time to time, but our actions will be letting us know if we have passed the test of delayed promises. My encouragement to stay strong in our belief in His promises is that He has never failed us yet. May our heads, hearts, and actions all manifest proof that we believe the truth that God is faithful.

You see that his faith and his actions were working together, and his faith was made complete by what he did. (James 2:22)

Your kingdom is an everlasting kingdom, and your dominion endures through all generations. The Lord is faithful to all his promises and loving toward all he has made. (Psalm 145:13)
 
posted by Karyn Baker
Permalink ¤