Tuesday, August 02, 2005,4:23 p.m.
The Gauntlet Thrown Down
I wonder why sometimes we consider ourselves "good Christians" and yet choose which rules and laws of our land we are to obey.

I want to throw down a gauntlet today - a challenge to those who want to live lives of purity and obedience to the Father, to those who desire that every minute aspect of their lives be worship that pleases the heart of God Almighty.

Hebrews 13:17 exhorts us to obey our leaders: "Obey your leaders and submit to their authority. They keep watch over you as men who must give an account. Obey them so that their work will be a joy, not a burden, for that would be of no advantage to you." And Ephesians 6:5-8 says, "Slaves, be obedient to those who are your masters according to the flesh, with fear and trembling, in the sincerity of your heart, as to Christ; not by way of eyeservice, as men-pleasers, but as slaves of Christ, doing the will of God from the heart. With good will render service, as to the Lord, and not to men, knowing that whatever good thing each one does, this he will receive back from the Lord, whether slave or free."

I realize that we are not "slaves" to Canada and her laws, but I think there is a place where we should pursue obeying some of the little laws of the land better so as to better prove to Christ our desire to be pure. We don't do it for the sake of Canada and winning favour with her, but rather to win favour with God.

So while you're thinking, "Come on, I don't steal, murder, or even cheat on my taxes" let me ask you:

Do you burn illegal copies of CD's?
Do you exceed the speed limit?
Do you actually claim every penny you make on your taxes?

Are you often the person who says, "Oh, it doesn't matter - everybody does it." "The government doesn't care." "Musicians already make a tonne of money." "I'm a fast driver, but I'm safe." Are you the one who makes fun of others who wish to eradicate even the smallest tendency to sin?

The gaunlet is thrown down - I am offering a challenge to those who gloss over these little things - include them in your desire to live a life holy and pleasing to the King of all Kings. (And before you pick apart my life in order to exhonerate yourself, let me remind you of something - yes, there are many places where I'm still growing, but my need to grow in this area will not excuse you of yours.)
 
posted by Karyn Baker
Permalink ¤