Monday, August 01, 2005,8:30 p.m.
More Thoughts on Revelation
I was just reading in Revelation 21 that when the first heaven and the first earth pass away, there will be a new heaven and a new earth, and no more sea. What? It's amazing to me that I have read that a bunch of times and never remembered that fact - no more sea.

I love the ocean - I grew up on it, and even the smell of it can make me feel calm and comforted. So to consider no more sea makes me a little sad, until I remember that there will be other things that pass away when the new heaven and earth are established. There will be no more tears. There will be no more death. No mourning. No crying. No pain. What amazing promises.

There are many things on earth that are only temporary and many things that are eternal. Reading about the ocean being a temporary thing reminds me not to hold too tightly to the things that will pass away. Though spending time near the ocean makes me feel comforted, the real comfort comes from the Father, the One who created the ocean, not from the ocean itself. The sea will pass away, the love of the Father will last for eternity.

Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth; for the first heaven and the first earth passed away, and there is no longer any sea. And I saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, made ready as a bride adorned for her husband. And I heard a loud voice from the throne, saying, "Behold, the tabernacle of God is among men, and He will dwell among them, and they shall be His people, and God Himself will be among them, and He will wipe away every tear from their eyes; and there will no longer be any death; there will no longer be any mourning, or crying, or pain; the first things have passed away." (Revelation 21:1-4)

"Heaven and earth will pass away, but My words will not pass away." (Luke 21:33)

"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys, and where thieves do not break in or steal; for where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." (Matthew 6:19-21)
 
posted by Karyn Baker
Permalink ¤