Sunday, September 25, 2005,3:32 p.m.
Fullness of Joy
I was thinking this afternoon about joy - I feel very joyful this afternoon.

I was pondering the feeling, because I wasn't sure why I feel full of joy. Is it random euphoria? Was someone extra nice to me today, and even though I've forgotten the incident, the joy stays with me? Is my cat behaving particularly well today and giving me lots of cuddles? Did I get to have dessert for lunch today instead of just after lunch? Uh...no.

Then I remembered that I wear one of those plastic bracelets that everyone has these days. And on mine it says "FULLNESS." This bracelet originally came from a conference and represented a different verse in the Bible, but lately mine has been reminding me that in God's presence there is fullness of joy (Psalm 16:11).

It's true that lately I've been making spending time with God more of a priority. I've been trying to seek His guidance for my decisions more, especially to do with work and being a pastor. I've been reading my Bible more with a goal of hearing His voice through every page. I've been journalling more and having more conversations with Him.

The long and short of it is, I've been in His presence more. More presence. More fullness.

There will always be an underlying joy in my life knowing that the God of the universe loves and wants me, but today, the simple knowledge of having a friend that is closer than a brother is bringing me a lot of joy. In His presence is fullness of joy.

You will make known to me the path of life; in Your presence is fullness of joy; in Your right hand there are pleasures forever. (Psalm 16:11)

A man of too many friends comes to ruin, but there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother. (Proverbs 18:24)




40 DAYS OF PURPOSE
Chapter One: It All Starts With God

Main idea: We were made by God and for God. (It's not about us.)
Most impactful verse: "Self-help is no help at all. Self-sacrifice is the way, My way, to finding yourself, your true self. (Matthew 16:25 MSG)"
Most impactful concept: We don't get to choose our purpose - God has planned it out already.
Other thoughts: If God has a purpose for my life, and He has always had it, then I don't need to worry about what I'm supposed to do with my life, I need instead to listen to what He's telling me about what He has planned for me to do. Time to tune in. And I imagine that since He knows me better than I know myself, He will have a great plan for me that fits perfectly with who I am even now and also who I am to become in the future.
 
posted by Karyn Baker
Permalink ¤