Tuesday, October 25, 2005,12:27 a.m.
There Was Only Ever One Plan
Do you ever read something in the scriptures that you know you've read a million times but all of a sudden it impacts you greatly, as if you've never read it (or at least never understood it) before now?

That happened to me as I read Galatians today. Galatians is a letter written by the apostle Paul to the Christians in Galatia, who were going back to practicing all the rules and regulations under the law. Now, the law was given by God through Moses as a way for the people to be OK before God, but became essentially useless after Jesus, who died once for every man's every sin, because no matter how cool we are, we could never live up to the law. (And if you weren't Jewish, you were pretty hooped no matter what.)

Anyway, background information aside, as I was reading today, I was completely struck by how clearly Paul outlines that the law, first of all, was given 430 years AFTER God promised Abraham to redeem all people through Abraham's seed (Jesus), so therefore the law did not come to replace or to nullify the original plan and promise of God. AND, Paul goes on to explain that the law was never intended to bring eternal life and righteousness - that was impossible. It was impossible to fulfill the law. That's not why Jesus came to die and be raised to life - He was coming anyway. And it did not take away the need for Him to come. In fact, it was never even able to or designed to take away that need.

Paul goes on to explain that the law was given to the us because we were thick (OK, that's the Baker paraphrase) and needed a tutor to learn some things before Jesus came. We needed to learn that we had no ability to fulfill the promise of eternal life in ourselves and following rules - we needed Jesus to come. There was no other way.

There was only ever one plan. Jesus. The cross. For everyone - Jews and Gentiles. Praise the Lord.

I suppose that all these revelations I found today were somewhere in my head, and perhaps they aren't earth-shattering to you, but I understood this more this afternoon than I think I ever had before. If you want more, definitely follow up the first three chapters of Galatians with Romans 11 (about the irrevocability of Israel's calling and how their hearts have been hardened for time so that we non-Jews could have the opportunity to believe). It makes for good reading and study, especially when taken together.

What I am saying is this: the Law, which came four hundred and thirty years later, does not invalidate a covenant previously ratified by God, so as to nullify the promise. (Galatians 3:17)

Why the Law then? It was added because of transgressions, having been ordained through angels by the agency of a mediator, until the seed would come to whom the promise had been made. (Galatians 3:19)

Is the Law then contrary to the promises of God? May it never be! For if a law had been given which was able to impart life, then righteousness would indeed have been based on law. (Galatians 3:21)

Therefore the Law has become our tutor to lead us to Christ, so that we may be justified by faith. But now that faith has come, we are no longer under a tutor. For you are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus. (Galatians 3:24-26)




40 DAYS OF PURPOSE
Chapter Thirty-One: Understanding Your Shape

Main idea:
Our shape for ministry is also defined by our abilities, personality, and experiences.
Most impactful verse: "He comforts us in all our troubles so that we can comfort others. When others are troubled, we will be able to give them the same comfort God has given us. (2 Corinthians 1:4 NLT)"
Most impactful concept: About abilities: (1) many studies reveal that the average person possesses from 500 to 700 different skills and abilities, and (2) to discover what God’s will is for your life in ministry, seriously examine what you are good at doing (and what you’re not). About personality: two people may have the same gift, but if their personalities are different that gift will be played out in very different ways. About experiences: God allows us to go through experiences (even painful ones) to teach us to help others in similar situations.
Other thoughts: The more I read about how we are shaped for ministry, the more I feel it validates what I have passion for doing to bring God glory. I have many good friends who live in the downtown east side, and for some reason their particular ministry (actually, I think it is properly defined as mission, which we’ll get to later in the book) makes me feel that what I do is not enough or that I have taken the “easy way out.” My head knows that this is a faulty thought process, but there are times when my heart goes to that place. Continuing to read scriptures about how God has uniquely created me to do what I’m doing for His glory is encouraging and affirming - exactly how I believe I should feel if I am in His will for my life. (As a side note, I hate that enemy tells us these lies even about our service to God! Praise the Lord for His Word that brings us all truth!)
 
posted by Karyn Baker
Permalink ¤