Monday, May 22, 2006,5:59 p.m.
Beauty in the Midst of Turmoil
I went for a deliciously long bike ride today, and while on it I discovered something: a reflection of the Garden of Eden in the middle of New Westminster.

OK, so I'm obviously waxing poetic and using my spiritual gift of hyperbole. Let me paint you a bit better picture.

I love to mountain bike. I learned to love mountain biking when I lived in North Vancouver, which, I'm pretty sure, is the Mecca of all mountain bikers. Trails, hills, water, mountains, mud - in short, every natural environment you could ever want to be in, all right outside your door. I'm not a particularly hard core biker (I don't jump fallen trees on my bike - one bit me once, and I've been less than enthused about it since), but I do like the off-road experience more than the bike-along-side-all-the-cars-and-see-how-long-it-takes-to-get-smoked experience. Enough said.

In North Van I could leave any one of the apartments I lived in, and within three minutes be on some back trail and feel like I was away from the rest of the world for a while. Not so in New West, where the first time I went for a ride a car nearly killed me. And I was walking my bike in a cross-walk. Also enough said.

But today as I was just trying to enjoy the freedom of the bike and stay away from crazy drivers and fallen trees (the trees don't occur much on your average neighbourhood street - can't say the same for the drivers), I found an opening to a trail, and being a native North Van-er, I took it. After nearly KILLING myself with the 60 degree decline - sans trees, but still scary - I emerged in this amazing trail, which led to a small opening - a lawn and some benches and trees all around. And except for birds and the wind in the trees, it was also quiet. (A rarity for New West, with its bridges, skytrain, industrial traffic, hospital, fire halls and all the rest.) The trail itself was not a biking trail - too smooth for a lot of fun - but it will be great for walking. I followed the trail to the end, and emerged into this lavishly landscaped park that was heavily fragrant with lilacs, and coloured with lilacs, rhododendrons, magnolias, and a tonne of other beautiful flowers that I don't know the names of. It really felt like a reflection of paradise.

I stayed for a while and then biked home (after getting my bearings and figuring out where I had taken myself!). It was a rather long, uphill ride home, and since I bike for enjoyment rather than exercise, I tend to prefer to do all the work at the beginning of the ride, so that when I feel like going home, I can just coast there. No such luck today.

It sort of reminded me of our lives in a way - that in the midst of noise, busyness, grief, worry and hardships, there is a place of solace and quietness where we can go and experience pure beauty and true peace.

That place is at the feet of Jesus - the One and Only.


The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want. He makes me lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside quiet waters. He restores my soul; He guides me in the paths of righteousness for His name's sake. Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me. You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; You have anointed my head with oil; My cup overflows. Surely goodness and lovingkindness will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever. (Psalm 23)

"These things I have spoken to you, so that in Me you may have peace. In the world you have tribulation, but take courage; I have overcome the world." (John 16:33)
 
posted by Karyn Baker
Permalink ¤