Sunday, May 07, 2006,8:07 p.m.
The Vancouver Marathon
I had three friends run in the Vancouver Marathon today - what an amazing thing. I know the obvious parallel would be to pull out the ol' 1 Corinthians 9:24 analogy, but it's probably well overdone, and in any case, I was thinking of other things in relation to the race. My first thought was this:

Are you kidding?

At the serious risk of offending my friends, who have my utmost respect for the diligence to train and perseverance to run 42.2 KM that they obviously have, I JUST DON'T GET IT.

I don't understand runners in the first place. I understand a good cup of chai and a corner of the couch where I can curl up, but how can I drink my chai if I'm running around? It boggles the mind.

Actually, it's a fairly common joke amongst my friends and I - this fact that I'm not a runner. And it's probably overplayed, because it implies I don't understand the quest for fitness or the enjoyment of an active passtime or hobby.

But running? I'm not sure I do get that.

It's been causing me to think of those of us who are believers, however, and how we must be perceived by others. What to us is the most glorious relationship we have ever been in, with the most amazing Being we've ever (or could ever) encounter, appears to many as a hypocritical, law-driven crutch for weak people. Well, I am weak, but for the rest, I think it is merely their lack of understanding or experience that makes us seem so absolutely crazy.

Don't get me wrong, I fully realize that many people are turned off church because of their painful experience with Christians - what a sad commentary on our ability to be Christ in this world. I have tried running before, and been turned off by the exquisite pain that I experience, well, everywhere in my body. But to anyone who has turned their back on the church, I will ask one question: What's your excuse for not hanging with God himself? Because that's what it's all about.

And that makes me wonder whether I truly am missing something when it comes running. I saw the faces of many people as they passed the finish line. Those that didn't look like they were about to die were elated. And, truthfully, even those that looked pained were still completing a 42 KM race. Amazing. Maybe my own knowledge of running has not been the fullness of what I could or should experience. If you happen to be reading this and you have never met Jesus, maybe your own past knowledge of God and His church has not been the fullness of what you could or should experience.

Perhaps next year I'll take on the challenge of running the 2007 Vancouver Marathon. Oh, darn, it happens to be on a Sunday, when I'll be busy being a pastor at church that morning. Too bad I'll have to pass that up.

I'm sure I'll get over it.

Or maybe one day I'll even get it.
 
posted by Karyn Baker
Permalink ¤