Monday, February 20, 2006,7:29 p.m.
"That's Bloggable"
I've decided that one of my most feared phrases from the lips of my friends lately is, "That's bloggable!" Generally speaking, it is said after a particularly embarassing revelation or action. (One of the last times I heard the phrase was after blowing bubbles out of my nose in a restaurant. I can't believe I got away with it not being blogged on Tara's blog, and now I really can't believe I just mentioned it here!)

Regardless of bubbles, the phrase itself makes me think about how our lives should be lived in such a way as to be able to have every ounce of it blogged by others and still be a shining example of Christ's light in our world. Is that going to happen? Our being a perfect, shining, holy example every day and in every situation? Not likely, not on this side of heaven.

But does that mean we give up? If you're like me, once in a while the temptation is to do just that. Or worse yet - we try to live our "public" lives as an example, but our thoughts and chats with friends leave much to be desired in the Shining Light department. That tendency is not as secret as those using it would hope to believe, and is one huge reason that many would-be believers are turning their back on what they see as a hypocritical church.

"You are the salt of the earth; but if the salt has become tasteless, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled under foot by men. You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden; nor does anyone light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on the lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house. Let your light shine before men in such a way that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven." (Matthew 5:13-16)

One thing I regularly say to people is that I "respond better to authenticity." I like authentic people. I don't mind people who are hurting or in process with God and the witness that is their lives. I don't care for it when people pretend to have it all together, because, really, don't we all see through that? Isn't it obvious to everyone - including those who are examining us to see if God is real - that we are faking it?

I said at the beginning of this blog that "That's bloggable" is one of my most feared phrases. I guess that's true, but not because I'm afraid of people knowing the real Karyn Baker. It is more because I am afraid that what would be blogged about my life would be a sharp reminder that I am not living up to even my own standards of holiness, let alone God's standards. We are called to be holy, because our God is holy. He will assist us. He will also fill us with a confidence in our identity in Christ so that people knowing that we occassionally blow bubbles through our noses will not be a fear.

Don't give up. God loves those who worship in spirit and in truth. May our lives be lived out in worship. May our worship be based in and on truth.

But just as he who called you is holy, so be holy in all you do; for it is written: "Be holy, because I am holy." (1 Peter 1:15)
"But an hour is coming, and now is, when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth; for such people the Father seeks to be His worshipers. God is spirit, and those who worship Him must worship in spirit and truth." (John 4:23-24)
 
posted by Karyn Baker
Permalink ¤