Thursday, February 02, 2006,8:02 p.m.
The Banner of Love
"You have fought my battles, you have even seen the top of my mountain. You have learned to shoot arrows of truth and hit the enemy. You have learned a little about using My sword. But love is My greatest weapon. Love will never fail. Love will be the power that destroys the works of the devil. And love will be what brings My kingdom. Love is the banner over My army. Under this banner you must now fight." (The Final Quest, by Rick Joyner, page 158)


The banner - the flying flag at the front of an army that told everyone under whose command that regiment was fighting. Our banner is to be LOVE. We are to fight under the colours of the banner of Love - to be defined by that banner, to be identified as belonging to that banner.

"A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another." (John 13:34-35)

Love like Jesus. OK, at the very most, now I think I'm at the BACK of the army, trailing miserably along, wondering if I am only here because I have a rich father or something who bought my commission.

Wait a minute - I am only here because I have a rich Father who bought my commission - a Father slow to anger and rich in love (and a commission bought with blood). There it is again - LOVE. Why is it that when we think of how we're supposed to love (like God), we often walk away feeling guilty or at the very least sub-par? Because we aren't loving like Jesus loved?

Of course we don't love the way that Jesus loves. God is literally defined as love. I don't see anywhere on my business cards, "Karyn Baker, Youth and Worship Pastor and Love." And I see that the only way I'm going to even come close to becoming that lover of people that both I and my Father want me to be is to ask God to do it in me. It scares me a little, because big prayers like that often come with process to get you there. But honestly, if I'm not loving, I am only making a noisy racket with my life anyway.

Teach me to really love, Lord.


If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. (1 Corinthians 13:1)

The Lord is gracious and compassionate, slow to anger and rich in love. The Lord is good to all; he has compassion on all he has made. (Psalm 145:8-9)
 
posted by Karyn Baker
Permalink ¤