Wednesday, January 07, 2009,9:17 p.m.
KNOWING GOD
We speak often of the "sacrifice of worship" or the "sacrifice of praise." I sometimes wonder if we really understand what that means. I understand the concept of giving up something in obedience to God. I understand that tangible type of sacrifice. I understand giving up time and resources - and waiting to hear the Father direct me to some specific act. (This does not mean, by the way, that I do these things perfectly. I simply understand what it meant by the phrases and do my best to be faithful.)

What I am curious about is whether we understand a deeper level of sacrifice. Abraham was asked by God to give up his one son - to put him on an altar and literally sacrifice him. His act of obedience was an act of worship. But I doubt very much whether that worship started and ended with the decision to take Isaac up Moriah. If Abraham had no depth in his relationship with - his previous worship of - God, how would he ever be able to calmly saddle his donkey and head up the mountain? Would he not have fought? We he not have doubted? Would he not have turned away?

I think Abraham really knew God. I think he had spent time with Him and learned to trust Him. He had failed God and He had believed God. I'm not sure that I believe that blind trust can come from a moment of decision; I think it must come from a lifetime of learning that the source is actually trustworthy.

I want to know God like that. At times I have felt that I am moving forward towards that deeper level of intimacy and faith that I desire. At times I have felt that I'm racing backwards, much to my dismay. Though perhaps even in the discouraging times, my simple desire to find God and to keep pursuing the turning of my head in the right direction is continuing to develop my understanding of His mercy, grace and unfathomable faithfulness. The truth and fruit of each of these seasons will be known in time. Whatever the truth of the season in which I find myself right at this moment, I hope beyond hope that it will be a part of the preparation that will lead me to commit an unhesitating act of worship the next time I face a mountain of my own called Moriah.



Some time later God tested Abraham. He said to him, "Abraham!" "Here I am," he replied. Then God said, "Take your son, your only son, Isaac, whom you love, and go to the region of Moriah. Sacrifice him there as a burnt offering on one of the mountains I will tell you about." Early the next morning Abraham got up and saddled his donkey. He took with him two of his servants and his son Isaac. When he had cut enough wood for the burnt offering, he set out for the place God had told him about. On the third day Abraham looked up and saw the place in the distance. He said to his servants, "Stay here with the donkey while I and the boy go over there. We will worship and then we will come back to you." Abraham took the wood for the burnt offering and placed it on his son Isaac, and he himself carried the fire and the knife. As the two of them went on together, Isaac spoke up and said to his father Abraham, "Father?" "Yes, my son?" Abraham replied. "The fire and wood are here," Isaac said, "but where is the lamb for the burnt offering?" Abraham answered, "God himself will provide the lamb for the burnt offering, my son." And the two of them went on together.

(Genesis 22:1-8)

 
posted by Karyn Baker
Permalink ¤