Saturday, August 20, 2005,9:03 p.m.
Family
I've decided my family is weird. Just a little. And just enough. We spent the evening together (minus my sister-in-law, who unfortunately had to work) in celebration of my Dad's birthday. Family get-togethers are rather casual - we didn't even eat at the table tonight (thought that's a first, I think) and forgot to have a camera ready to take pictures of Dad when blowing out the candles on his cake.

The funny part of the night came when we decided to figure out how to use a video camera that my uncle passed on to me. We ended up taping each other, and you know, my family is FUNNY! I won't pass along any of the silly things we all did, because I rather like my family and am not ready to get kicked out of it just yet, but it is sufficient to say that when you videotape each other you get a really good picture of how strange you all are. It makes the cat look much more normal. In fact, I understand more that look of utter disdain she wears on her face most of the time.

So what's my point? Actually, I don't really have one, other than perhaps that Tara will continue to point out that the cat is prophetic. (Though I would argue she's more observant than prophetic....) Family's good, and there is a beautiful joy in knowing that mine extends beyond my biological family. I am blood related to many other wonderful people, many of whom are also weird. (If you're not one of the ones who believes they are weird, please excuse me - we'll videotape you next time so you have a chance to embrace any weirdness to which you may actually be inclined....)

Be blessed tonight and remember that through Christ's blood, you are part of a great family.

God sets the lonely in families, He leads forth the prisoners with singing; but the rebellious live in a sun-scorched land. (Psalm 68:6)
 
posted by Karyn Baker
Permalink ¤