Tuesday, May 23, 2006,9:53 a.m.
Finding the Feet
God seems to be speaking a great deal just now about sitting at His feet - being with Him, spending time with Him, without the agenda of "should" or "do." Many people have told me they are experiencing the same thing, and the following scripture has recurred a number of times in the last couple of months:

Now as they were traveling along, He entered a village; and a woman named Martha welcomed Him into her home. She had a sister called Mary, who was seated at the Lord's feet, listening to His word. But Martha was distracted with all her preparations; and she came up to Him and said, "Lord, do You not care that my sister has left me to do all the serving alone? Then tell her to help me." But the Lord answered and said to her, "Martha, Martha, you are worried and bothered about so many things; but only one thing is necessary, for Mary has chosen the good part, which shall not be taken away from her." (Luke 10:38-42)

I was reminded again of this scripture just a moment ago, when I sat down to do some work on the computer. My cat (yes, the very same cat who falls out of bed and occasionally wears buckets on her head) was lying at the end of the bed, but when I sat down on it to work, she moved up to where I was, got as near as she could, and chose to lie down again with her face as near me as possible. She seems very content.

It got me thinking about Mary, and how she just wanted to be close to the Lord. There is a time for work and service, and a time for words and communication. But the ability to do those things out of love comes from times of intimacy, and often those times do not even need words. Someone once told me that the mark of a true friendship is one where you can sit together with someone and not feel the need to speak.

Mary sat at the feet of Jesus. At our Worship Team cell group last week we talked about the feet of Jesus, and someone asked where they were. The "feet of Jesus" may not be a specific thing or a certain place, and as far as I can see it is not the same for everyone. But the result of searching for and finding that place of intimacy with Jesus - indeed with the Father, for they are One - is something that Jesus called "better", and promised that that would not be taken from us.

Hallelujah.

I'm off to find the feet.
 
posted by Karyn Baker
Permalink ¤