Monday, August 21, 2006,9:56 p.m.
Being Worshippers
What does it mean to BE worshippers instead of just DOING worship?

I've been pondering that this evening, especially as I've been asking my congregation to BE instead of just DO. God calls us to BE. What does that mean?

I think when we do something, it is a task and then it's done. I think when we are something, it is our entire person - it defines who we are. As a musician, there is a difference in playing the violin and being a violininst. One implies that I can pick up the instrument and scratch off a few notes (believe me, when I started, that's exactly what it sounded like!). The other implies that this is part of my identity.

And I suppose it's a progression of learning and ownership. When I first started to noodle on the guitar, I would say, "I mess around on the guitar." Then I progressed to "I play the guitar." Then after a while of learning and getting better and falling more in love with the instrument, it became, "I'm a guitarist." It became part of my identity - part of who I am, every minute of the day, whether I was actually playing the guitar or not. It was who I am, not just what I do.

As we learn to BE worshippers, I pray that we would all fall more deeply in love with our object of worship - God the Almighty. May bringing Him worship not just be something we mess around with, nor something we just do on occasion. May it be our very identity that we are worshippers of God.
 
posted by Karyn Baker
Permalink ¤