Wednesday, August 16, 2006,9:14 p.m.
Question about Intercession
Hey, everybody - I have a question for which I'm searching out a solid answer and could use your help.

It is this: When we pray, and specifically when we intercede, is it absolutely necessary to pray "in the name of Jesus"? And by that question, I actually mean using the words "in the name of Jesus" each and every time.

I understand that we must have Him as our righteousness to be able to pray and seek things from the Father - in fact to be acceptable before Him at all. But I was reading today in Dutch Sheets' The Beginner's Guide to Intercession and he seems to be saying that these words are necessary to be heard by the Father. He gives a few scriptures which I thought were great scriptures about Jesus being the only way to the Father, and Jesus being our righteousness. These scriptures are absolutely true, but I am struggling with the inkling that these speak more of my salvation and ongoing relationship with God, instead of my prayer by prayer requests. I am wary of teaching any practice that seems legalistic without good solid scriptures to back it up. And my brain is kind of whirling on the subject at the moment, as you might be able to guess.

I respect everyone's opinion, but I would like to ask that you only comment on it if you have some scripture or solid understanding about it. Opinions are great, but I have one already and am looking for something more substantial to take back to the cell that's studying the book.

Thanks, all.
 
posted by Karyn Baker
Permalink ¤