Thursday, March 13, 2008,9:23 p.m.
THE PURPOSE OF PAIN
I was lying on the floor tonight listening to Rita Springer and she sang this line:

You hold on to all my pain
And with it You are pulling me closer
And pulling me into your ways
(from "Worth It All" - Effortless album)

It got me thinking about pain. Specifically, the purpose of pain. Granted, some pain that we endure is nothing less than a direct result of the sin in which we have chosen to engage. But not all pain is the result of sin. Some pain is simply the result of our living in a broken world with other broken people.

Along those lines, I began to ponder what the purpose of pain is. And I began to wonder if it is allowed into our lives firstly to draw us closer into intimacy and dependency on the Father. And secondly, to bring glory to God.

For either outcome, I will gladly endure a little pain. Perhaps if I focus more on what purpose my pain could accomplish, I might be more able to endure the pain when it comes.

Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth,
for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away,
and the sea was no more.
And I saw the holy city, new Jerusalem,
coming down out of heaven from God,
prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.
And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying,
"Behold, the dwelling place of God is with man.
He will dwell with them, and they will be his people,
and God himself will be with them as their God.
He will wipe away every tear from their eyes,
and death shall be no more,
neither shall there be mourning,
nor crying,
nor pain anymore,
for the former things have passed away."
(Revelation 21:1-4)


PS - To all those who have commented below on the March 7th blog - thank you! There are many suggestions there that I plan on using. (Thanks especially to those of you who rarely or never comment - your taking the time is just a little more special because I know you never do it.) If you have not commented below, please do! Thanks!
 
posted by Karyn Baker
Permalink ¤