Thursday, October 08, 2009,9:39 p.m.
SYMPTOMS OF TROUBLE
Holy smokes it's been a long time since I blogged! Yikes - my apologies.

Just a tidbit tonight, from a sermon I heard a few months back. The sermon was entitled "The Perils of Prosperity" but it was not, nor do I mean this to be, an attack against the blessings of prosperity that God gives. It is instead a great little checklist to go through to see if we are perhaps losing any perspective on the blessings - monetary or otherwise - that God gives.

The preacher gave four symptoms of peril:

1. Ungratefulness
2. Entitlement
3. Hesitance to give generously
4. Dissatisfaction

For myself, I think the second is a danger I sometimes fall into, either about something I have or something I want. That little list - that I found jotted down in the inside cover of my Bible - is a good reminder to remain aware that every gift comes from God alone.

And He gives good gifts.

"Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows." (James 1:17)
 
posted by Karyn Baker
Permalink ¤