Wednesday, October 04, 2006,10:31 p.m.
Page 23
I'm not sure why I'm doing this except perhaps that I love Matthew Champ (still have that rule about marrying you, though, Matt - sorry, bro), and he did something on his blog that intrigued me. He wrote this:

So, normally I don't do these tag games, but here's one I found interesting.

Join in for a fun game of tag
1. Grab the nearest book.
2. Open the book to page 23.
3. Find the fifth sentence.
4. Post the text of the next 3 sentences on your blog along with these instructions.
5. Don’t you dare dig for that "cool" or "intellectual" book in your closet! I know you were thinking about it! Just pick up whatever is closest.
6. Tag five people.

So, normally I would also say I never do these things - even when I'm tagged (please don't start tagging me for stuff - I probably won't even see it, but out of perversity I certainly won't want to do it - I can't even be bothered to respond to those e-mail questionnaires that people personally send me sometimes). Perhaps it was that Matthew didn't personally tag me, or perhaps it was that I was then curious to see what page 23 in the book beside me on my bed-side table held - I don't know. But here it is:

"You're my elders and betters, you know; I was obliged to come when you sent for me."
"Why, this is what I want - and just shake yourself sober and listen, will you?" said Godfrey savagely. He had himself been drinking more than was good for him, trying to turn his gloom into uncalculating anger.
- excerpt from Silas Marner by George Eliot

You can see Matthew's quote on his blog. And I'm not tagging anyone either. If you're curious - check the book nearest you and see what it says. Have fun!
 
posted by Karyn Baker
Permalink ¤