Wednesday, January 17, 2007,11:55 p.m.
WHAT'S UP
I had some news last week that I have shared with most, but thought I would also post it here to keep up-to-date anyone I might have missed out on unintentionally. To save figuring out how to say it all again, I've simply posted most of the letter that I e-mailed to friends and family yesterday.


Dearest friends,

I thought I would write to fill you all in on some recent news for me. Some of you will already have heard, but many will not - I am writing to tell you that I am no longer working as a Worship Pastor at The Salvation Army. In recent budget meetings for the upcoming fiscal, it became clear that my little church was not going to be able to propose a balanced budget without the elimination of a job; the job that was decided upon was mine and I was consequently laid off. This news actually came and was effective last Tuesday, January 9th, but was kept quiet until the news was broken to the congregation on Sunday morning, hence the reason for my delay in writing to you all. Everything has been handled with great graciousness and love, and I leave without any rancour, just with grief at the loss of my congregation and also for their loss and the adjustment that must take place. I am greatly blessed that for the last 5 years I have also been involved in a different (Sunday evening) congregation, and I will continue to make that my church home and place of fellowship and ministry. I will be visiting the New Westminster Salvation Army often, but have chosen both to take a little time away for everyone to adjust to the change and also to delay making any immediate decision about whether I will regularly still attend there.

I have already received a number of phone calls and e-mails expressing support and promises of prayer on my behalf. Please know that I greatly appreciate it as I move forward and look for a new job. Rest assured that I am doing very well; my spirits are high and I have no doubt that my future is in good hands. As you pray, please remember my congregation at New West, especially the young people and the Worship Team, with whom I have probably spent the most time and had the most depth of relationship.

If you have been used to using my Salvation Army work e-mail address
please note that I am sure they will shortly neither be working. My personal e-mail address is still the same; I would welcome your e-mails, but ask that you do make any changes to your address books that need to be made.

I will keep you posted with any further important news. Please know that I know of your love and concern for me, and I appreciate it, more than you might ever realize.

With much love to you each,
Karyn



To the many people that have already written or called to express their surprise, concern and care: thank you. I love you more than words could adequately say. I trust I will have more news for you soon.
 
posted by Karyn Baker
Permalink ¤