Wednesday, June 06, 2007,9:49 p.m.
FACEBOOK
So here's a question:

What's the big deal about Facebook anyway?

I kid you not, I have received at least forty invitations to join Facebook, but since I have to sign up just to look at what it is, I have no desire whatsoever to do that. And if you've been one of the last twenty people or so to invite me, I haven't even responded to your e-mail to say thanks but no thanks.

Is it really all that great?

Or is it just another chance to spend more time having friendships through the computer instead of face to face? Friendships that tend to lack intimacy and depth?

I realize I haven't got a clue what I'm talking about, because I haven't got a clue what's it's like to be on Facebook. People tell me it's neat to reconnect with old friends from Elementary School. Really? Some of the people that have invited me to Facebook live less than 30 minutes away but haven't actually spoken to me or spent any time with me in months. Perhaps it's because they're too busy reconnecting with people they haven't seen for ten or twenty years. It's a shame - I miss them. Thankfully there are still a few people who seem to prefer "in person" friendships.

Am I just venting? Yes, a little. Will I eat my words someday and join Facebook? It's possible, I suppose. Though I imagine if I've resisted thus far, I'm probably not going to sweat it. I just don't get the replacement of deep, personal friendships with Internet interaction. I never have.

Maybe one day I'll understand, but for now, I really just don't get Facebook.

PS - If you happen to be a great Facebook lover, do your best not to crucify me just for having an admittedly under-informed opinion.
 
posted by Karyn Baker
Permalink ¤