Saturday, April 14, 2007,10:34 a.m.
STALE SONGS AND FRESH TRUTHS (continuing the conversation)
I find it interesting that the longer I am forced to leave it between blogging, the more people seem to dig into what's already been said (and not always said by me!) and chew on it a little. I'm not actually ignoring the blogging for that reason, but I do find it an interesting phenomenon, and sometimes you then get little gems like this at the end of 14 comments:

... There is a reason, I think, that Jesus is the Word. Not the song, but the Word. The Word is universal. He is the Truth. His character and glory are never dull, even though our pursuit of him can sometimes get stale. The Truth of God's Word has the substance that our souls need....

He is the Word.
Not the song, but the Word.

Brilliant. It makes me wonder about Revelation 4 (among other places in scripture) where the angels forever say, "Holy, holy, holy is the Lord, the Almighty, who was, and who is, and who is to come. (Revelation 4:8b)" I wonder if they always say it in the same way? Or if perhaps it is the truth that they are always declaring over and over and in fact the way they say it is fresh and new and always changing? I've never thought of that before, but today I wonder....

... Music, on the other hand, firstly appeals to our temporal bodies. There will be changes in musical taste through the years, just like changes in fashion and clothing. However, God's truth remains the same, and we have to be committed to worshipping Him full out no matter what the musical context. Anything less is just us popping our favorite cd in to listen along....

Timely words in our little "conversation" that's been going on about this here. It's truth. And it's a gentle exhortation to examine ourselves, each of us, from the newest Believer to the most seasoned worship leader, to see if we are singing music or declaring truth.

For many who know me it will seem almost unfathomable that I will say these next words, but there is priority even in passion:

Forget the music, it is nothing.
Declare the truth, He is everything.
 
posted by Karyn Baker
Permalink ¤