Wednesday, April 04, 2007,9:14 p.m.
BE UNSTOPPABLE
I came online to blog something else, but noticed a couple of comments I hadn't seen below, and thought one of them raised a good point. It was this:

inquisitive sentiment said...

"A heart in love with God does not need its favorite style of music playing to express itself to God"

This is a good point, but, there have been times when I just cant get into a place of worship that brings me to me knees, now I don't think for me that it's that I don't like that style of music, but its songs that have been over played. I think that there should be a variety, because sometimes some songs are going to trigger a deeper emotional connection. Like for someone who is struggling with sin, and feels horrible, a song about the blood of Jesus is going to move them more than a song about joy... just a few thoughts....

My first reaction - Amen! I hear you and have experienced that same thing. And to Lisa and another Anonymous who responded to this comment with the opinion that we need to buckle down and worship anyway - Amen!

It's a both/and, I think. As worship leaders, we have a responsibility to be sensitive to the people and especially to the Holy Spirit (I rather think that when we're mostly listening to the Holy Spirit about song selection, the "old and tired" phenomenon turns into the "old but Spirit-filled" phenomenon.....).

At the same time, should there be a song that for some reason is 'tired' or not 'in tune' with where we're at for one of us, it is still not about that song. It is still about raising up the name of God and glorifying His name. In that we should be tireless. Check it out:

"Hence, also, [Jesus] is able to save forever those who draw near to God through Him, since He always lives to make intercession for them." (Hebrews 7:25)

If Jesus' love and deliverance is unchanging, then our praise of Him should be unstoppable. Not able to be stopped or stunted by songs that we feel are tired (and there are many of them out there). Not hindered by musical styles we dislike. Not hampered even by a lack of music! Absolutely unstoppable - God is worthy of that kind of praise and much more.

Now, I doubt anyone would disagree with my sentiments above, but some, like 'Inquisitive Sentiment' might be asking, "OK, Baker, I get the concept. What about the execution? It's still difficult to worship through tired music." To that I have only one possible piece of advice, and it is this:

Focus on the Saviour.

And press on. His beauty will inspire your praise. It's your heart He's after anyway, not your singing. Your heart of worship is beautiful.

Press on. Focus on the Saviour.
 
posted by Karyn Baker
Permalink ¤