Thursday, January 15, 2009,4:33 p.m.
BRONTE QUOTE
I was just re-reading some old blogs, realizing that I've been blogging for 3 1/2 years now! Yeesh. I'd comment that I never knew I had so much to say, but we all know that's probably not true...

Anyway, in my wanderings (which was really about re-reading the Great Airplane Pencil Incident of August 6, 2006 - it managed, by the way, to hit the all-time high for comments from readers), I found again this quote from Charlotte Bronte which I love. It remains a call to separate our society's conventions from the call and commands of God and to stand for truth in the face of hypocrisy. (Do keep in mind that in the 19th century the word "religion" was not as negative as it can be in some Christian circles today.)

"Conventionality is not morality.
Self-righteousness is not religion.
To attack the first is not to assail the last.
To pluck the mask from the face of the Pharisee is not
to lift an impious hand to the Crown of Thorns."


- Charlotte Bronte

(from the preface to the second edition of Jane Eyre
December 21, 1847)
 
posted by Karyn Baker
Permalink ¤