Sunday, February 22, 2009,6:02 p.m.
STAND AND FIGHT
It is high time I blog again. I am shamefully behind. The truth is, however, that I had the most awful week, and I had no inclination or inspiration to write anything. Until today.

This morning I attended a church I do not usually attend. In fact, my Worship Class students and I had the privilege of leading worship there. But the sermon caught my attention and in some ways I felt that it was speaking directly to me. The point that has stuck with me the most is regarding a passage of scripture in 1 Peter 5. It says this:

Be self-controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. Resist him, standing firm in the faith, because you know that your brothers throughout the world are undergoing the same kind of sufferings. (1 Peter 5:8-9)

The preacher gave a little more detail to the picture of a roaring lion. He talked about how when a lion roars its prey goes flying, thereby putting itself in a more vulnerable position. Its back is turned to the lion and it is running away. The imagery caught my attention because I have wanted to run away this week. Quite literally. In fact I joked today that the only reason I didn't run away was that I didn't know where to go.

But though I didn't actually run, I did turn my back in anticipation of flight, and I did look for where to run and where to hide. I was filled with fear. And I was most certainly not self-controlled in the face of it. The further imagery that I found illuminating this morning was the contrast between the vulnerability of the run and the safety of being hidden under the shadow of the Almighty's wing. If I run, I am not anywhere near as assured of safety as if I stand firm and stay under His wings. It's so true, and in the face of great fear it is so difficult to remember.

I fail the Lord with my lack of faith over and over again. And then He tenderly offers me the covering of His wing yet again. I do not deserve it. And it is not why it is offered.
It is offered because I need it and I am loved.

When I choose to stand and fight as I am bidden I am actually in a place of far greater safety than when I am filled with fear at the roaring lion and try to run away. I wish I could figure out a way to always remember that profound yet simple fact.

God is our refuge and strength,
an ever-present help in trouble.
Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way
and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea,
though its waters roar and foam
and the mountains quake with their surging.

Selah

(Psalm 46:1-3)
 
posted by Karyn Baker
Permalink ¤