Saturday, July 16, 2005,10:05 a.m.
To Rest or Not To Rest
Do you ever get exhausted in doing the things that the Lord has asked of us? I don't mean the character things - the desire to align our character with the character of Christ. I mean the actual physical things that He has called us to do - feed the hungry, take care of the poor, befriend the friendless, exalt His name to the utmost and spread His love and gospel to the ends of the earth. Is there a place where we can wear ourselves out doing these things? Should we? Shouldn't we?

These questions come up this weekend because, to be very honest, I'm tired. Not tired as in, "I'm tired of doing these things." I'm not weary of it. I'm actually tired because I love doing it and have therefore been doing it a lot. I'm just plain old I-could-sleep-for-a-week tired.

So where is that place where we recognize that 'this is as much as I can do in a week,' or something like that? I have been struggling with this for a year and half - ever since I was released to be in full-time service as a pastor - and the Lord recently gave me some strategy on it. (OK, though to be honest, I'm still learning how to actually do the strategy that He gave me.....)

He told me that I was looking for a scheduling strategy, and I was. I'm at heart an admin chick - I like to be organized, I hate being late, and I was looking for some sort of schedule that would allow the most work for Him to be done while still keeping me rested and having time alone with God.

It's been a year and a half - I'm still looking.

God told me a few months ago that though I was looking for a scheduling strategy, He was giving me an intimacy stragegy. To continually ask Him whether I should say yes or no to doing something - to ask Him if I should pray over someone, or lead worship at this event, or call this friend. Does that seem overly simple? Maybe, but do we do it? I don't think so. I would love to meet and mentor under the person who in every aspect of their life seeks the Lord about whether to go left or right, forward or backward.

I think many times in our lives we minister to people because there is a need, and also because this is what we have been called to do. Well, we are here to minister, but I think the point is that we are servants of the Most High God - to be released at his bidding. I think if we really listen for His leading in everything, then He will not let us get so exhausted that we need to lie on the couch for three days at a time! Even Israel was not allowed to move in the desert until the pillar of cloud or fire moved. The concept of "shift work" also comes to mind - we don't personally have to do it all - we are members of a body, each with specific gifts. What I can't do, I pray someone else will be released to do, and when I must rest, someone else will take up the standard and forge ahead. Geese do this when they fly - they are in a "V" formation, with the leader at the point of the "V." But when that leader gets tired, he or she moves to the back of the formation, where the work of those at the front is making flight for those at the back easier. They rotate and they rest.

God calls us to work hard, but He also calls us to rest. And I think many times we feel guilty when we do this, but isn't guilt a tool of the enemy? And if we worked ourselves so ragged that we were no use to anyone, how would that ultimately bring glory to God? And perhaps rest is not so much being able to sleep in as resting in the presence of the Lord, and letting Him renew, refresh and LEAD us into or out of every situation. He is, after all, a prettty good shepherd.

Your ears will hear a word behind you, "This is the way, walk in it," whenever you turn to the right or to the left. (Isaiah 30:21)

The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not want. He makes me lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside quiet waters. He restores my soul; He guides me in the paths of righteousness for His name's sake. For though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me. You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; You have anointed my head with oil; My cup overflows. Surely goodness and lovingkindness will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever. (Psalm 23)
 
posted by Karyn Baker
Permalink ¤