Monday, July 11, 2005,10:10 a.m.
When Does "Fellowship" Go Too Far?
I'm struggling this morning with the concept of fellowship. I understand the verse in Proverbs 27:17 that says that our fellowshipping with each other is like iron sharpening iron. Or perhaps it's better to say that it should be.

Where is that line that says, "We are no longer spurring one another on to seek and trust God, we are instead allowing that person to rely on us instead of on God." Where do we recognize that someone is leaning too much on us as other humans and not trusting that God will do every single thing He has promised in the scriptures? Where does the line get crossed from us being Jesus for that person to us just attempting to be Jesus? Is there even a line?

My heart tells me that there is a line - a line that can be crossed into someone relying on us instead of on God. My Bible tells me that God wants to be everything for us, and that He is more than capable. I am not capable of being that person. (Translation: I am not capable of being God. Praise the Lord.)

I think we need to be careful in the way we fellowship, especially if we are in spiritual leadership within the church (as many, many of us are, even if we don't wear the title "pastor"). Fellowship is intended to encourage each other to seek after God. Yes, we should pray for each other - that's what we're supposed to do - so that we can see God's glorious power at work in our lives as He answers those prayers. Yes, we should be devoted to one another - so that we can be encouraged as we continue to run after God. But it should all be with the view in mind of exalting God's name and His power in our lives. If we mistakenly, out of a desire to love, allow someone to seek after us and our strength and wisdom, I think we should be afraid. I don't know about you, but I know that my shoulders are nowhere near strong enough nor broad enough.

I love the people I'm in fellowship with - a great deal. And often that love is exuded in a very motherly, tender way, with a desire to be compassionate for their circumstances. But I think I am often wrong. But when I look at Jesus, and the way He dealt with His disciples, He was more concerned about their growth than that they were coddled. When Peter walked on water and then fell in, Jesus' words were not, "Oh, good job - you tried. Sorry that didn't work out, I'm sure you'll do better next time." His words were, "Oh, you of little faith!" It was exhortation to rely more on God - and I believe a big part of that is because Jesus knew what Peter had in front of him to face.

So what's my point? It is that we should not do our brothers and sisters a disservice by allowing our love for them to become mushy and weak - let it instead love them enough to push them towards the face of God, every time.

May God be glorified through our fellowship as HE ALONE strengthens us to complete the work He has given us.

"Iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another." (Proverbs 27:17)

"Peter said to Him, 'Lord, if it is You, command me to come to You on the water.' And He said, 'Come!' And Peter got out of the boat, and walked on the water and came toward Jesus. But seeing the wind, he became frightened, and beginning to sink, he cried out, 'Lord, save me!' Immediately Jesus stretched out His hand and took hold of him, and said to him, 'You of little faith, why did you doubt?'" (Matthew 14:28-31)

"'Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.'" (Matthew 11:28-30)
 
posted by Karyn Baker
Permalink ¤