Monday, December 12, 2005,6:53 p.m.
Faith and Doubt
Faith is a funny thing. It always seems to be there until it's tested, and then you find out what the reading is on how much you really have.

My faith has been tested in the past couple of weeks - my faith in hearing the voice of the Lord. The funny part is, there has been very little that has come at me to shake my belief in the promises that He has given me. A couple of little circumstances and probably a few words from others taken out of context. That's it.

A couple of curcumstances.
A few words.

Matched against a lifetime of seeing the faithfulness of God never fail, a lifetime of reading the words of the scriptures that speak of God's unfailing love and faithfulness to His promises, and a lifetime of learning about faith. How is it that the circumstances and the few words seem to be winning?

The truth is that about this one particular promise, I have had for a long time at least a small measure of doubt. When I was struggling under abusive leadership in the church, I had faith that God would protect me and my reputation and bring me through it. He did. When I was out of work, I had faith that God would constantly take care of my financial needs, regardless of what they were and how big. He did. When I was trying to decide on whether to take a job in Colorado or take a job here in Vancouver, I had faith that He would guide me into the right decision. He did.

But about this particular promise, there has always been an inkling of doubt. Did God really say that? Should I believe it? Would He really do that for me?

I think many of us have many of those doubts, even about the promises that are solidly written in the Bible. And here's the nasty part about that. Satan knows of even those tiny little cracks in the armor of our faith, and he will exploit them for all he's worth. The Bible doesn't call him a prowling lion for nothing. Here's the best part: we have more authority than Satan or his demons do, and if we resist him - even the thoughts that he attempts to sway us with - he will flee from us.

This weekend I saw in my own life where Satan and his imps had been messing around with my head and I had almost completely lost faith in one of God's amazing promises for my life. In fact, I hadn't even recognized that it was anything more than my own doubt. Yes, it likely started with my own doubt, but I really believe that Satan was trying to take my belief in this promise away, and so take away joy. (He truly is a stinker.)

Whether it's our own doubt or Satan's attack, there is one thing that is certain: God's promises are always solid. His faithfulness cannot be shaken. It's a lesson I thought I had already learned. Hopefully this time it will go even deeper.

Be self-controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. Resist him, standing firm in the faith, because you know that your brothers throughout the world are undergoing the same kind of sufferings. (1 Peter 5:8-9)

Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. (James 4:7)

He called his twelve disciples to him and gave them authority to drive out evil spirits and to heal every disease and sickness. (Matthew 10:1)

But you, O Lord, are a compassionate and gracious God, slow to anger, abounding in love and faithfulness. (Psalm 86:15)

What if some did not have faith? Will their lack of faith nullify God's faithfulness? Not at all! (Romans 3:3-4a)
 
posted by Karyn Baker
Permalink ¤