Monday, June 19, 2006,11:05 a.m.
Priorities
I have a friend that's getting married soon. I've been interested to watch the fact that my dear friend is not concerned about the details of her wedding, particularly. I know that it's part of her personality, but as I think about it more, I think it's also a good reflection on the fact that she gets that some of these "details of the day" are irrelevant compared to the fact that she is entering a marriage, not just a wedding. Invitations are just informational cards that let everyone know where they need to be and when. Bridesmaids' dresses are just to make sure that the attendants aren't cold from lack of clothing. Dinner is not to impress, but rather to fill stomachs and provide a place for people to be together and enjoy each other and celebrate.

Now personally, I've been to approximately a bazillion weddings (approximately). They are beautiful and they celebrate the day and I'm not slamming them in any way (I have a feeling that my own wedding will be much more like them than like my friend's). But somehow I think that this beautiful friend of mine is on to something. While the short-term (the wedding) is fun and exciting and in its own way important, it's actually about the long-term (the marriage - the life together).

It seems a pretty blatant parallel to our walk with Christ, don't you think? The short-term - the salvation - is important and exciting. But though it is important - in fact I'll go one step further and say that it is a necessary beginning (as is the wedding) - it remains still a starting point to the life together.

It's kind of a neat thought. Not original - the scriptures are full of our relationship with God being paralleled to a wedding and marriage - but it's still a neat thought. Not just a bride for a day, but also a wife for a life-time. Nice.

'Then one of the seven angels who had the seven bowls full of the seven last plagues came and spoke with me, saying, "Come here, I will show you the bride, the wife of the Lamb."' (Revelation 21:9)

(I had to add this little addendum: After I posted this blog, I noticed that it comes right after the one where I decided to hint to all the men out there what many women are looking for! It's a good definition of irony. And it was entirely unintentional!) :)
 
posted by Karyn Baker
Permalink ¤