Saturday, September 20, 2008,1:51 p.m.
SPIRITUAL BULIMIA
"SPIRITUAL BULIMIA"

I heard this phrase from one of my Grade 12 boys while away at our school's kick-off retreat this week. It took me a moment to register what he meant when he said it and then it hit me - binging and purging.

I don't intend to be sensationally graphic in this post - it's not my way or my nature. However, I loved the mental picture that this created, and recognized the danger to ourselves when this is the method of relationship with the Lord that we practice.

Think of it - a person who will come to a conference or a retreat or even just a church or Chapel service and choose to pursue the Lord with vigour. One who says, "All I want is You", who worships with passion and who chooses to accept the challenge of the speaker or the voice of God in that moment to live a life set apart for God. Then that same person walks away from that moment of spiritual high, for whatever reason, and lives a life that belies everything that they have just engaged in and promised. A life that proves false everything that this person has proclaimed and vowed. A life, in fact, that is a purging up of everything on which they have previously gorged themselves.

A life that is lived sometimes hot and sometimes cold is a life lukewarm. It is a selfish and dangerous way to live, and a way that is assured of disaster in the end.

"So, because you are lukewarm—neither hot nor cold—I am about
to spit you out of my mouth." (Revelation 3:16)

God is not impressed with our physical manifestations of holiness. It's not holiness. He is not impressed with our outward manifestations of worship. That is not worship. And He is not impressed with our head knowledge compared to a deep-rooted conviction in the things to which He has called us as Believers.

He says that faith without works is dead. Not that we must "do good works" to be saved - that is not the intent of that scripture. Rather, if we declare that we believe, our lives will show that it is something we believe. If I say that I believe in that a young child will be safe when climbing stairs but always block the staircase, I do not fully believe. My actions - my deeds, the things I do - will always follow my true beliefs.

Being a Christian is not saying a prayer that insures you against a life in Hell after you die. It is being a Christ-follower. Don't call yourself a Believer or a Christ-follower if all you are doing is using the name and then living your life outside of the way that God desires. This is not Christianity. Too bold? It is straight from the scriptures. Examine your life - as I am doing myself - and if you are living a life authentically before the King my words will probably not offend. If you are living your life for yourself, periodically putting on a show for God or for others in regards to your relationship with God - He will not be impressed, and neither will those who see you do it.

My words here might be harsh - so be it. They are not my words. If you are someone who regularly binges and purges in your spiritual walk - even through weakness rather than intentionality - it is time to decide. The good news is that should you choose to desire the life of holiness, the life lived 100% before God, even in the times of weakness, He will help you live it. Simply ask Him.

And make no mistake - no matter how difficult it can be at times, it is utterly worth it.


What good is it, my brothers, if a man claims to have faith but has no deeds? Can such faith save him? Suppose a brother or sister is without clothes and daily food. If one of you says to him, "Go, I wish you well; keep warm and well fed," but does nothing about his physical needs, what good is it? In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead.

But someone will say, "You have faith; I have deeds." Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by what I do.

You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe that—and shudder.

You foolish man, do you want evidence that faith without deeds is useless? Was not our ancestor Abraham considered righteous for what he did when he offered his son Isaac on the altar? You see that his faith and his actions were working together, and his faith was made complete by what he did. And the scripture was fulfilled that says, "Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness,"and he was called God's friend. You see that a person is justified by what he does and not by faith alone.

In the same way, was not even Rahab the prostitute considered righteous for what she did when she gave lodging to the spies and sent them off in a different direction? As the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without deeds is dead.

(James 2:14-26)

 
posted by Karyn Baker
Permalink ¤